Each day as I speak to my children, I am aware of constantly saying 'Thank You' to them, when they do what I ask. Telling them I love them as much as possible. Just recently I have become aware of the importance of encouragement, praise and love, without any constructive criticism. This is something I have always done, but for some reason I seem to be paying attention to my kids face when I speak to them this way.
Audrey, a beautiful, almost five year old who loves to play with her hair and is absolutely positive that it has grown "a lot" since last night. As I was tucking her in, she thanked me for taking her to the parade today and playing at the park afterward. She was so intent on this and I had her absolute and complete attention. I took a few moments to praise her for ability to express gratitude (of course I was using 4 year old language), how she is a beautiful person on the inside and the outside. How proud I was of her for all the good things she does, when she shares, when she takes care of her sister and brother, anything and everything. You should have seen her face. She was a sponge. She needs to be given verbal love and encouragement as much as she needs food and water.
My son, Jack, a 7 year old who can't wait to be 8 to go to Scouts and to get baptized. Oh, and the best flag-football player you will ever meet. He is so busy and I can't get him to stop long enough for anything. But I have found that when we walk somewhere, he won't hold my hand, but he does let me put my arm around his shoulders. I find moments to have these same conversations with him. I tell him that he is amazing with his two sisters. When he kisses them better, wants to hug and love when their feeling are hurt. When he plays with them, sticks up for them and protects them. When he asks questions about the gospel, all the who, what, why, and how. How I love to see him learn and build his testimony. He is quiet and is listening and when the moment has finished, he looks up at me with a simple smile and I know that he understood and has soaked up his love and encouragement nourishment.
And my baby, Norah, we all just love and kiss on her and spoil her with whatever she needs and she get her nourishment from all of us all day.
I do not post this to be a declaration of what a wonderful parent I think myself to be, but rather an understanding of the enormous responsibility of what being a parent is. No one is absolutely perfect, and I most definitely don't consider myself even close. But I am trying daily to do my best with these angels I have been blessed to raise in this lifetime. I believe every child in the world deserve to have at least one person who considers them to be the best at EVERYTHING!! To be their cheerleader for all the good and bad times. Their soft spot to land. How much better would this world be, if everyone had that? I think this is what Heaven will be like. The feeling I receive when they smile or gaze at me after these conversations makes me want to try even harder tomorrow. Thank you Audrey. Thank you Jack.
1 comment:
you are one pretty awesome mom, and you kids are so lucky to have you. Sometimes this could be a forgotten thing if you are saying I love you and you did good, but they need to know Why, what and how. Be proud of your self that you are giving them a wonderful blessing that will help them for the rest of their lives and your future generations :)
Love you
Katie
Post a Comment