Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bear Country

TRIP TO GRANDMA'S AND PAPA'S HOUSE - SOUTH DAKOTA - THANKSGIVING 2009

Going to Bear Country is our most favorite thing when visiting. Grandma and Papa get a yearly pass and it is just so much fun to see. I took a ton of pictures but here are a few of the good ones.

I always think of my sister Katie Fox, when I see a fox the animal. So this is for you Katie!


These are the bear "cubs." They are pretty old cubs by now, but still smaller than their Mama's. They are so playful and silly, they just run around with each other and play, falling on top of each other, climbing trees, hiding. They are one of the highlights to see at the park.


If I remember correctly this is a lynx. Two year ago Audrey was just about 13 or 14 months old. We had her in the stroller walking about the park. And a lynx, similar to this one. Saw her in the stroller and marked her for dinner. He would not take his eyes off her, and moved with us up and down the cage. Whenever we stopped he would get into an attack position, just ready to pounce. Audrey saw him, but was too young to notice his intentions. It was funny, but as a mother, I felt nervous. I always wondered if we stayed long enough if he would try to "catch" her.


This is the Big-Horned Sheep. In the park there is a driving part, where you have to stay in your car, with the windows rolled up, and then the walking part. This sheep was in the driving part. As we drove up we were looking, there was about 6 or 7 of them altogether. Something either irritated this guy or caught him off guard. Because he looked at our van, about 20 feet away and charged us!! Papa had to press the gas quickly and get out of his way, because he tried twice!! The second time was only from about 5 feet away so it wasn't as scary, but whatever his reason, he did not like us!


I thought this wolf lying here was so majestic. Such a beautiful animal. I always think of my dog "Patches," from when I was a kid. He was part wolf.


Peacock. These guys just roamed the place at their own free will. There was no cage for them. Outside anyway.

Badger! He was so fat, we all laughed when he ran.


The bears were everywhere. This guy was huge!! At one point in the park we were trying to cross a cattle guard. Right on the fence there is a sign that says: "Drive Slowly, Bears Will Move." This cattle guard was being guarded by a bear, who looked very nervous, and would not move. He paced in front of that cattle guard, continually, for a long time. Every now and then, he would come right up to the car and sniff around the side and front, but sure enough he would hurry back and start pacing again. He was pacing so quickly, I am surprised he didn't get dizzy. The kids sure got a kick out of seeing a bear do that.


An albino bison, but we call them Buffalo.


Seeing the buffalo is also one of the highlights. Here they are at their feeding area.

1 comment:

Katie Fox said...

I love that picture, thanks