Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Only Constant Is Change

Group Shot of the Tooele 8th ward Young Men and Young Women outside of the Church History Musuem. Dec 2009.

Denniqa and I, May 2009

Sister Boone and BethAnne posting signs for our YW fundraiser. May 2009

(L-R) Emily, Amber, Haley, Quincy, Lexi, Salena - playing the belly game. Jan 2009
Emily Skelton at our Yard Sale Fundraiser, dressed up all fancy, May 2009.

Valentines Day 2010 seems so long ago. I woke up that morning and the life as our family knew it was all fine and dandy. Everything was great with very little stress. Now it feels as if we are living in a whole new world. Just after Valentines Day, we were presented with a certain change that has caused a major hardship on our family. This hardship in turn, has led to an enormous amount of stress for us, and it is my faith entirely that is seeing me through this.
Four days after that, I was hit with the worst cold, I believe I have ever experienced. It lasted for two weeks before the symptoms started to ease up. I am grateful for a husband who researches and asks questions for my welfare. Because of that, I was able to take some medications while being pregnant to help me recover. But in retrospect, this cold was very minor, probably a result of my stress, but then it just added to my stress as well. Lose, lose situation.
Three days later, my husband was called into the Bishops office, for a worthiness interview to receive his High Priest. The first thing he did after telling me, was call my Dad. My Dad only confirmed his fears about what this might mean. Then for 11 stressful, tearful, fearful, and frustrating days we waited. Finally he was interviewed by the stake and called to be the First Counselor in our wards new Bishopric.
Then for three agonizing days we had to keep it quiet. Of course we were able to tell our families because they don't live out here. But I am sure my fellow Young Women's leaders thought I was hiding something or simply going crazy, because I know I was acting weird around them. But he was sustained and set apart at church the next Sunday.
Then, to read between the lines of everything that was happening with my husband surely had to affect me. There is no possible way for Chris to be in the Bishopric and me to continue on as the Young Women's President. The new Bishopric understood this as well, and just two weeks before my baby is due, I have been released.
Woah!! Almost done. Then, dear reader, if you haven't understood. I am to have a baby in two weeks. HOLY COW!! This will be a whole story in itself, and I will give it its due when the time comes.
Now some thoughts on all this craziness.
Regarding this hardship I am being so vague about and which there will be no other explanation. I love the gospel. My faith is what is sustaining me daily. I can't see the end of the road, I do not know where it is leading. But I know we will be alright. I didn't know that straight away, it has been through complete, blind faith which I have been blessed with glimpses of hope, which strengthen my blind faith, that I know we will be alright. Heavenly Father tries our Faith, and our patience and I keep thinking He must have something fantastic in store for me, because faith precedes the miracle. Its a complete circle.
Regarding that horrible cold. Benadryl is an amazing drug. I was able to take a pediatric dose to help me sleep at night. I respond to antihistamine very strongly, and that small amount would knock me out for 12 hours, and I was still able to take a good nap during the day. I would try to nap while Jack was at school and Audrey, bless her heart, she just knew that Mommy was ill. I would put in a movie and lie down on the couch with a blanket. While laying on my side, she would cuddle in the crook of my legs, just behind my knees. As long as she had a sippy cup, a movie, and me close by, she would sit quietly for the 1 1/2 to 2 hours while I slept. She was fantastic. That, I believe helped me to eventually recover, and made it bearable while I was sick.
Regarding my Chris's new calling. We, as a family are very humbled by this. It was a calling neither one of us expected. Chris is a good man, he jokes, he teases, he is extremely sarcastic. But a very good man. I am blessed to be married to him, I support and sustain him with my whole being. My parents were absolutely fantastic in this whole process. As mentioned we knew he was to be receiving his High Priest, but we didn't know what for and when until three days before it all actually happened. We learned these answers on a Thursday night. Friday morning my parents hopped in the car in Rapid City, South Dakota, and made the 12 hour trip out to our house. We spent Saturday, just talking and being together. Grandma took the kids on a walk, made playdough, did the dishes, and kissed on the kids. Grandpa took the kids on a bike ride, took me out to lunch, fixed our blinds and played like a 6 year old wanted him to. Then on Sunday the family which live in Utah, (we were missing the Fox family in Oregon, and Chris's whole family still in England) came and supported us as Chris was sustained and set apart. My Dad was able to ordain Chris with his High Priest and be present in the circle as he was set apart. At one point my parent decided to attend all gospel oriented ordinances for all their kids and grandkids. With our family spread over three different states, this is quite the goal to accomplish. Chris and I appreciate their sacrifice and support immensely. We love them very much. The family spent the afternoon having lunch and playing. Later that evening Grandma tried out a new activity with us. She bought cans of shaving cream, and squirt it into piles on the table in front of each kid. Then just let them play in it. It was the funnest activity, some might consider it a mess, but it wipes up so easily, washes out of clothes with no problem, and its clean. Its not like we had to scrape up anything gross. We will definitely be doing that again. Then, after just the two days, Monday morning they headed back home to South Dakota. We will see them soon, after this baby is born.
Finally, regarding being released from Young Womens. I don't think I can adequately describe how I am feeling. How does a person summarize three years of sleepless nights, stressful days, worry, busy weeks, spiritual highs, seeing a girl "get it," comforting the one who is lost, seeing them enter the program, watching them leave, watching their testimony grow, answering the hard questions, watching them learn a concept and seeing their brain start to churn in understanding, watching them turn away from the gospel, helping them to come back, watching them laugh, giggle, befriend, and test, the gospel and each other, hoping, praying, crying, planning, teaching, loving and most of all wanting them to know how much Heavenly Father loves them, and hoping they see the light of Christ in themselves as much as I do? There is no way. I have to make special mention of all the fantastic and rewarding times we have had at Girls Camp, these experiences cannot be compared to anything. It has been an extremely rewarding time of my life. I have learned so much about myself and grown in so many ways. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to serve these girls and I will always look back on them and this time in my life with deep fondness. To the new YW's president - I wish you all the best and you will constantly be in my prayers. They are in the best hands possible and I gently and respectfully place them there in your care.
Now I will close and the next post I have will surely be all about the new baby, and the latest change in our family. Till then. . . .

4 comments:

Katie Fox said...

Oh dear sister Sheila, I feel your ache for your old calling and I pray you can be comforted in the new challenges that lay ahead. I love you big sis!

Heather said...

You are an amazing woman Sheila! What a wonderful post that you will look back on and see how many blessings have come because of change. The pictures you have of your Young Women and you are great! You have done such a wonderful job with these girls. I'm sure they all have just as many great memories of you. I look forward to seeing how all of these changes shape and mold your life in the future!

Annie said...

life. it is so unpredictable! i decided that i shouldn't make too many long term goals. or i should at least be super prepared for them to not work out as i planned! although our boats look different, we both sit in the same one:) call if you need anything! and no worries, pasta coming your way soon! love you, my friend!

Amanda said...

Wow! I miss you! I wish I could give you a big hug right now--maybe that will have to wait until this baby comes and I can make it out there to see you. I think you are wonderful and am grateful for your example. Hang in there!