Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Brand New Year

Well last night, I was able to attend a New Year's Eve Broadcast meant for the Youth. A taping to be played on New Year's Eve. It was so awesome. Originally I was told it was to be a First Presidency's Message, for the youth. But, it wasn't. And that was O.K. Before the event started someone noticed Sister Julie Beck sitting the row in front of us. A couple girls and I got up and introduced ourselves to her. She was amazing, looked us right in the eye, and hugged each one of us. She was genuinely glad to meet us. You could just feel her spirit, and I was thankful to meet her. Sister Beck is the General Relief Society President.

The theme for the night was "A Brand New Year" we heard a short message from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, which was inspiring. He talked about Joan of Arc and how she refused to deny her religious beliefs, and therefore died at the stake. He made it a point to mention how he doesn't want us to die, but that we should stand up for what we believe in. He said "One life is all we have" and that "Each [person] gives their life to what they believe in." It was soooo good.

Then Brother Dalquist and Sister Dalton the Young Men and Young Women's General President introduced the Mutual Theme for 2009. Timothy 4:12 "Be thou an example of the believers. . . ." That should be good theme to study on next year.

The rest of night was a concoction of Singing, movie segments, and narrations. It was fun and lively and brought me to tears a couple of times. It is not a hidden secret that I am little over the top. I am big in my actions, and voice. That is how I feel about the gospel, I just want to scream and jump, about its truth sometimes, and that is how this fireside was portrayed last night. I wish General Conference could be that exciting. It was 2 1/2 hours long, and did not even feel like it. It really gave me hope for the future. These youth are incredibly strong. It also gave me courage to be the mother I am, and confers I am doing the right thing by staying at home with my children. I hope my children are at least this strong, hopefully stronger for the next generation.

One last fun thing we did, at the beginning they handed everyone a Strength of the Youth Pamphlet, at one point in the program they had the whole auditorium hold up the pamphlet, and stated that this pamphlets is a symbol of our standards and we are showing them to the world. It was so wonderful, I am getting choked up now remembering it last night. I am so thankful to have been a part of this. I can't wait for the DVD to come out.

7 comments:

Katie Fox said...

That is so awesome Sheila. I got teary eyed reading your blog (not surprising for me though). I am glad that you enjoyed it and that you do such a good job at your calling. Your young women are a lucky bunch of girls, you always were an example to me big sister.

Amanda said...

Sounds like an unforgettable night. Can't wait to see it!

Kelli said...

Wow. I was suppose to go with my youth but couldn't make it and was bumbed so thank you for shareing Now I can get a little feel of what happened. Thanks Sheila

Annie said...

so it was worth it to have to change ywie? :) sounds like a fabulous night!

LORI said...

Sheila, you are so inspiring.. That's really neat that you got to meet Julie Beck. She is such an amazing woman. I'm sure she was a young woman president when she was your age.. I'm excited to see what the future holds for you. Your kids are very lucky to have such an amazing mama..

Heather said...

That sounds so awesome. I love youth programs because they know they have to do more to keep their attention. But then it's exciting for the adults too. I can't wait to see it. What a wonderful experience for all of you!

Katie Fox said...

Sheila I just have to say, I just read you comment on my blog and I wanted to tell you that I love you and appreciate you as my sister and out relationship. I can't wait for vegas to talk with you and just enjoy you and Danci uninterrupted for 2 days. Thank you for your comments they always make me feel so good.
I love you
Katie