Thursday, May 19, 2011

Life or Death

I had a very interesting experience coming home from my sisters house in Provo today. An experience I would consider life or death. In order for me to be able to have the car to go to Provo today, I had to get up at 5:45 AM to take Chris to work. When I returned home, I simply got myself ready, then the kids when they awoke and after dropping Jack off at school we were on the road. Apparently, the hour and 15 minute drive put me back to sleep. I had a hard time staying awake getting down there. But it was fine, and I woke myself up with my trusty Vitamin Water.
We had an enjoyable day with us sisters. We talked and laughed, which is just so awesome to be able to do with all of us together. We had L and L Hawaiian BBQ for lunch - my favorite. Then the time came to come back home, to be here when Jack arrived.
I could barely make it home. I arrived into the Salt Lake Valley and started feeling very tired. I remember seeing the freeway exit for 90th South, then glancing at the mountain range, thinking "I can't believe I have to go up around that entire thing." It seemed soooo long. I was able to make it onto I-80 via I-215 without much of a problem, but I could feel myself getting more and more tired. Both girls had fallen asleep at this point, and I considered pulling off the road to sleep for a bit, but I also felt like I didn't have a choice, because no one was here to meet Jack if I was late. So I continued on in spite of my fatigue. I barely remember travelling along any of the freeways. I couldn't tell you where, but somewhere on I-80, I swerved across a lane. I caught it early enough that I hoped it looked like I simply changed lanes without using my indicator. Then, my eyes started burning, it physically hurt to keep them open. The brightness of the sun seemed to intensify, and things were going blurry. I looked at my eyes in the rearview mirror, to see if something was wrong with them. There wasn't. The clencher for me, was when I actually nodded off and I awoke to my head bouncing. I don't believe it was for anything longer than that split second, because the scenery was the same, and I was still in my original lane. But it was enough to scare the -bleep- out of me. I immediately took the next exit which was 5600 West. Found a gas station there, bought a Coke and some Nibs, which is my normal long distance travel snack. But I was so upset that I grabbed a few other things as well. I took a moment to walk and get some fresh air, and felt revived. So we loaded back up in the van and headed home without another problem.
One might ask, Why didn't you stop sooner? Well, I have this thing with waking sleeping children - Don't do it!! The girls were napping, and I didn't want to disturb them. I could have called a friend to get Jack, but I didn't want to wake the girls. It may sound silly, but obviously I wasn't thinking correctly. When my head nodded, I realized something very powerful. Would I sacrifice the life of my children, just so they aren't grumpy later in the day? My answer was a huge NO!! Wake the kids up!! So I did.
I was watched over today. There was an angel watching this part of the Unsworth family. When I nodded off it could have been so much worse, indescribably worse. My life could have been forever altered. Would Chris still have a wife, would Jack still have a Mom, and what about Audrey and Norah? I don't know. But this is how accidents happen. It would be incredibly wrong if I did not tell the for the world to hear, that I know someone was with my today. He helped me to only nod for a second. He blessed other cars to not be near me when I swerved. Most importantly, I believe, in my fatigue laden brain I was given clarity of thought to not continue any further. It was all in the Lord's hands and I recognize him most fervently in it.
Jesus Christ lives, and personally watches over me. Of this I am absolutely sure. He knows the trials he puts us through, but at that most critical moment He comes in with the blessings. Which critical moment he decides to bless us, only He knows, and I put my faith in Him that it is the correct one. But I love him with all my heart, and am so thankful for the gospel in my life.

These children are worth saving. I would give them my life, but if I don't have to, I want to be here to live it WITH them.


3 comments:

Katie Fox said...

I am VERY glad you pulled over. Not only your little family would have suffered but the rest of us as well. That is so scary and such a huge blessing to be watched over like that.
I am so glad you are safe at home!

Danci said...

Holy crap sissy! I just read your blog. Sorry a little slow these days. I am glad you were prompted to do that. I also know, from what you said in the car. That you wanted to be "Off" of coke. That was probably a struggle in it's self. You were fighting all sorts of things. I ended up getting a coke on the way home because I needed to stay awake as well. What a blessing personal revelation is. I am thankful for that every day, and express gratitude for it because we are protected through this wonderful priesthood power. Thanks for paying attention to the promptings so I can have 2 sisters on earth and not just one.

Annie said...

i think i need to bring you another coke to playgroup next week. make up for last week!

i'm glad you are safe and sound! i don't know what i'd do without you!!!